All you’ll need are your favorite vegetables, salt, pepper, and garlic powder. A frying pan or skillet and lid. (optional: oil)
Great veggies to use—Pick your favorite 2-5:
(these are in order of longest to shortest cooking time)
Brussel sprouts sliced into 4-6 pieces each
Carrots (chopped into pieces ¼ inch or less thick)
Broccoli (florets AND the stem peeled and chopped into ¼ inch pieces)
Sugar Snap Peas
Bell peppers (red, yellow, orange or green, cut into strips)
Zucchini (cut into 4 long strips, then chopped into ½ inch pieces)
1. Prep all veggies before you begin cooking any of them.
2. Put a ¼ cup of water in pan and turn heat to medium. If you’d rather, you can use 1 Tbsp of oil. Let the pan heat up for 3-5 minutes.
3. Put longest cooking veggies in first (carrots and/or brussel sprouts). Cover and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add broccoli and/or cabbage. Then sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder over mix and stir.
Probably about ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder for every 2 cups of veggies. Adjust to your liking. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
The water should be acting like a steamer for the veggies to help them cook faster. If you see the water dry up and the veggies start to burn, simply add another tablespoon of water as needed. You’ll see the steam when you add it. Always cover with lid after adding to trap the steam inside. If at any time, that doesn’t prevent burning, your heat is probably too high. Simply lower it.
5. Test the carrots and broccoli to see if they are getting tender. They shouldn’t be mushy. You want them firm but able to get a fork through fairly easily.
At that time, add your last (faster cooking) veggies such as snap peas, bell peppers, and/or zucchini. Add more seasoning if you think you need to. Stir, cover and cook for another 5 – 10 minutes.
Once it appears everything is still firm but done, it’s ready to serve.
I know… it seems too simple to be good, but they really are great vegetables. Since you aren’t boiling taste and nutrients away, and your adding a great combo of salt, pepper, and garlic, they get great reviews from your eaters. They are yummy!
If you liked this post, please share it on your favorite social network to help get the word out!