* vegetarian, gluten free options
Amiee's mom gave us this recipe and we've made it countless times for our guests. It's popular, tasty, and easy to make!
- 1 pound of ground meat (turkey, beef, and bison are all meats we've used. We have also made it vegetarian by leaving this ingredient out.)
- 3 cans of beans (3 different kinds – we usually use red kidney, black, and garbanzo. We also usually get dry beans rather than canned and use 1 to 1.5 cups of dry beans of each variety)
- I can of diced tomatoes or Rotel, or 2 large tomatoes peeled and diced
- 1/4 onion diced
- 2 tbsp saute oil
- 1/2 cup of frozen sweet corn kernals (optional)
- 1 packet of taco seasoning
- 1 – 1.5 cups of water
- Fry meat in pan until brown. Drain off excess grease and set meat aside.
- Put oil in large pot and add diced onion, saute until onion pieces are transparent
- Add beans, tomatoes, taco seasoning and water
- Bring to a boil, and add corn kernals
- Reduce heat, add cooked meat, and simmer for 20-30 minutes
- If you think it is too dry, add more water. If you make a larger batch or need to add quite a bit of water, consider adding another 1/2 packet of taco seasoning for added flavor.
If you like this post, check out our other recipes here.